Subject: Re: bash: resource temporarily unavailable
To: None <port-mac68k@netbsd.org>
From: Stefan Jeglinski <jeglin@4pi.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 12/14/2001 15:53:56
>  > I just recently installed 1.5.2 on two identical IIcx machines. The
>>  only thing to each I did was set up the network to logon remotely and
>>  install bash from pkgsrc (binary, not built from scratch). On the one
>>  machine, everything is fine. On the second, logging in gives me:
>>
>>  bash: fork: Resource temporarily unavailable
>
>Whatever user you are logging in as has reached the default number of
>processes (80, usually), or the whole system is at it's maximum number of
>processes (don't know what this is in GENERIC).
>
>Old IIcx machines are slow; perhaps ssh is taking too long to generate
>keys, then the new keys every hour are adding up or something bizarre like
>that.
>
>Hit the debugger button, type "sync", reboot, and see if you can log on
>right after the machine boots. Unlimit that shell and run top and see
>where your processes are coming from.

OK, this is weird. I've had a login window open since I sent my
original post. I got yours, and went back to the window and just
typed top to verify I still had the problem -- but I didn't! This
problem has afflicted this machine for a -week- and I only rebooted
it right before I sent my original message. Now, the issue has
mysteriously cleared up. And of course everything now looks good via
top etc.

Now I've waited a couple of minutes and the problem is back again!

I have tried logging on right after the machine boots, but with no
luck. OK, I'm off to hook up a monitor and log on as root. Not sure
that will make a difference, though.

Stefan Jeglinski

Stefan Jeglinski