Subject: Re: bash: resource temporarily unavailable
To: Stefan Jeglinski <jeglin@4pi.com>
From: John Klos <john@sixgirls.org>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 12/14/2001 15:16:54
> I just recently installed 1.5.2 on two identical IIcx machines. The
> only thing to each I did was set up the network to logon remotely and
> install bash from pkgsrc (binary, not built from scratch). On the one
> machine, everything is fine. On the second, logging in gives me:
>
> bash: fork: Resource temporarily unavailable

Whatever user you are logging in as has reached the default number of
processes (80, usually), or the whole system is at it's maximum number of
processes (don't know what this is in GENERIC).

Old IIcx machines are slow; perhaps ssh is taking too long to generate
keys, then the new keys every hour are adding up or something bizarre like
that.

Hit the debugger button, type "sync", reboot, and see if you can log on
right after the machine boots. Unlimit that shell and run top and see
where your processes are coming from.

John Klos
Sixgirls Computing Labs