Subject: bash: resource temporarily unavailable
To: None <port-mac68k@netbsd.org>
From: Stefan Jeglinski <jeglin@4pi.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 12/14/2001 14:51:02
I just recently installed 1.5.2 on two identical IIcx machines. The
only thing to each I did was set up the network to logon remotely and
install bash from pkgsrc (binary, not built from scratch). On the one
machine, everything is fine. On the second, logging in gives me:

bash: fork: Resource temporarily unavailable

Problem is, -any- command I run gives this response. I did configure
bash (identically, I thought) on both machines, adding some stuff to
bashrc and profile - but I'm afraid I didn't do something as
identical as I thought. I've been reading about this error and want
to check some things, but I can't even read any files to look for a
dumb mistake. I've rebooted the machine in case I somehow had tons of
zombie processes or some such, but no luck.

Both machines are running headless. Will it do me any good to hook up
a monitor to the victim and boot into single-user mode? Any
suggestions as to solving this regardless of whether I can find a way
to execute any command?

Stefan Jeglinski