Subject: Info Sources for sysinst/68k?
To: None <port-mac68k@netbsd.org>
From: None <CARL.P.HIRSCH@sargentlundy.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 11/29/2001 09:17:31
I just tried installing 1.5.2 from an ISO image onto a Quadra 700 with 20
megs of RAM and a 1gig Seagate drive.

The install itself looks to go okay, and I can boot into single user fine.

Every time I boot into single user I'm advised to run fsck. Is this normal?

When booting into multiuser mode, there seems to be some problem with tty
configuration. One of the boot messages states that /dev/ttyE0 cannot be
found. After googling about some, I found out that the "make devices"
function in the MacOS installer isn't quite up to par, and that one should
run the MAKEDEV all script to create ttyE0 in addition to ttye0. I tried
this, but I still hang on multiuser boot. The last boot message is
"starting cron" and then the system time... then nothing.

Googling through the archives I noticed that the MacOS installer isn't
always the preferred method for setup, that many are of the opinion that
sysinst is a better option. If sysinst is covered in the Install document
or any of the install guides I saw, I must have missed it. Can anybody
point to me installation instructions for NetBSD 68k which cover sysinst?
FAQs? Manpages?

Thanks much.

-carl hirsch