Subject: Re: I've got ELF - new snapshot
To: None <port-mac68k@netbsd.org>
From: Matthew J. Hall <matthewhall@mac.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 11/27/2001 23:55:03
Quoth Space Case at 9:52 PM -0800 on 25/11/2001:

>I'm happy to say, I'm running ELF on my Q650.
>[...] work on the Booter, I was able to build and run an ELF system.
>The brave among you now have the chance to do it yourselves.

That's great! Now, please forgive my sub-standard organic knowledge
storage device, but why is this a good thing? Is this A Good Thing?
What's an ELF anyway? (Aside from the usual definitions for this time
of year...)

I did find an ELF FAQ <http://www.netbsd.org/Documentation/elf.html>
however the description really doesn't shed a whole lot of light on
the subject (for me anyway...) :
"What is ELF?
ELF is a binary format designed to support dynamic objects and shared
libraries. On older COFF and ECOFF systems, dynamic support and
shared libraries were not naturally supported by the underlying
format, leading to dynamic implementations that were at times
complex, quirky, and slow."

Once again, I grovel in the presence of those whose knowledge
outshines mine in every respect etc...etc...

--
Matthew Hall <<=0=>> matthewhall@mac.com
     "How Dogs and Men Are the Same :