Subject: Re: booting custom kernel
To: None <port-mac68k@netbsd.org>
From: None <charlie.root@pandora.be>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 11/26/2001 23:26:36

>>Two things strike me as odd here; first, if some options are indeed
>>mandatory to have a working kernel, why are they called options?
>>and why is this not documented in the configuration file? (or
>>anywhere else)
>
>Because the definition of "mandatory" varies with configuration.
>
>On a pre-quadra, you can boot a kernel which has no NCR SCSI
>built-in, and you can boot a kernel that has no SBC SCSI
>built-in...but you cannot boot a kernel with neither. But a Quadra
>can boot a kernel with neither NCR nor SBC SCSI built-in, because
>Quadras use the esp driver instead.

ok, I got that

>Ordinarily, when you're deciding on a kernel config file, open a
>copy of the GENERIC or GENERIC-SBC file, and also, in another
>window, have your dmesg open. There, you can see what systems you
>are currently using, and use that as a baseline for turning off
>options. Also, you shouldn't go around turning off options unless
>you actually know what they do.

That is about what I did, athough I could have made a mistake of course=8A
And as far as the hardware is concerned (=3Ddmesg info), i'm pretty
much aware of what they do and of which options I definitely do not
need.
But does that mean that as long as the hardware-related options are
correct, the machine should boot? (because in that case, I must've
made a mistake)