Subject: booting custom kernel
To: None <port-mac68k@netbsd.org>
From: None <charlie.root@pandora.be>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 11/26/2001 13:32:16
Hi all,

While trying to compile a custom kernel on my Q700 some time ago, I
appeared to be somewhat too zealous in turning off options; it
stopped compiling with a bunch of errors.
I retried  with some more options -not knowing their utility- and it
eventually compiled without errors but  would'nt boot, freezing the
machine at "So I sayz to him... the only way that it should be done
is to..." as if the machine "fell" in the gap between two systems.
On the third try, I was lucky: all went fine, Q700 booted and
happiness was mine.
Now I'm trying to compile a new kernel for another Q700, with the
specific purpose to make it a firewall;
Here again, it compiles, but the macOS does'nt seem able to pass
control over to NetBSD.
Two things strike me as odd here; first, if some options are indeed
mandatory to have a working kernel, why are they called options? and
why is this not documented in the configuration file? (or anywhere
else)
second, the problem seems to appear somewhere between -start loading
the kernel into memory- and -start the bootprocess-, which would be
task of the booter app, but then again, if the booter is the problem,
how can it be affected by the kernel configuration?

Shine your lamps into my darkness, dear enlightened minds,

yours truly,
karl.