Subject: Re: What is *BSD? -- was: Re: Samba(and OSX off topic?)
To: gabriel rosenkoetter <gr@eclipsed.net>
From: Todd Vierling <tv@wasabisystems.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 11/20/2001 23:23:18
On Tue, 20 Nov 2001, gabriel rosenkoetter wrote:

: > Huh?  I always thought *BSD was a couple of _real_ Unices, as opposed to Linux
: > being the *nix-like OS!?  Could someone please correct me?  Thanks ...
:
: In short, "Unix-like" is a term we use because, technically, it's
: not Unix unless the owner of the Unix copyright labeled it such.

More particularly these days, NetBSD is not Unix(tm) until it conforms to
the Single Unix Specification(tm) and is certified as such by The Open
Group(tm) [what an ironic name...].

: NetBSD derives from 4.3BSD NET/2, FreeBSD derives from 386 BSD 0.1
: (which derives from 4.3BSD NET/2).

: But after the flap that caused with AT&T...

*Officially*, both now derive from 4.4BSD-Lite2, because some of the source
code in 4.3BSD NET/2 had the questionable AT&T copyright status.  Said code
was pulled from circulation to satisfy the relevant legal proceedings, and
now everyone's happy.

: Anyway, Linux isn't totally out of the blue. It's arguably based on
: Minix (though don't argue that too loudly in certain circles),

Heh.  But if you look closely enough, you can still see it in the fringes.
(Mmm, remembering Minix for the Amiga....)

--
-- Todd Vierling <tv@wasabisystems.com>  *  Wasabi & NetBSD:  Run with it.
-- CDs, Integration, Embedding, Support -- http://www.wasabisystems.com/