Subject: Re: Netatalk and Long Filenames
To: gabriel rosenkoetter <gr@eclipsed.net>
From: Kadari Mayson <dark3lf@mac.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 11/19/2001 17:38:18
On 11/19/01 3:37 PM, "gabriel rosenkoetter" <gr@eclipsed.net> wrote:

> On Mon, Nov 19, 2001 at 02:06:28PM -0500, Kadari Mayson wrote:
>> Yes it is.  Mac OS X.1 comes with a built-in SMB client, and you can upgrade
>> to a professional level client/server solution for X.1 with DAVE 3.1.  There
>> is also DAVE 3.1 for OS 9 as well as DoubleTalk 1.x.  There are other
>> SMB/CIFS solutions for X.1: Sharity which is shareware and SAMBA (use
>> smbmount) which is GPL.  I use DAVE 3.1, it's fast, has a great GUI, and
>> exports long filenames as well as an easy to configure server.
>
> Hrm. Doesn't strike me that forcing people into buying a commercial
> product on their client end is a correct solution within an open
> source environment.
>
> The fact is that Netatalk could be doing a more right thing than it
> is, by truncating the names or at least by logging a message on the
> server when a client tries to list a directory which contains file
> names they won't be able to get. Failing silently is clearly wrong.
>
> (This problem drove me up the wall around this time last year, and I
> still think it's ridiculous that Netatalk does nothing to let you
> know that there's a problem.)

Like I said, SAMBA is free and Sharity is shareware (free to students).
There is the original version of Netatalk and the ASUN modified version and
AFAIK, the original Netatalk is all but abandoned.  A version is still being
maintained at http://sourceforge.net/projects/netatalk , there are a lot of
threads about long filenames with no responses.  I am on the mailing list
and about a year ago, one one the developers said that it would be a
non-trivial project to enable Netatalk to export long filenames, and I
believe he said something like it will never be done.  I don't AFP can
support it anyway, so he'd have to design a brand new protocol and
translation system.  Your only other option is NFS (blech), but your best
bet is SAMBA.

./km