Subject: Re: Netatalk and Long Filenames
To: gabriel rosenkoetter <gr@eclipsed.net>
From: Cameron Kaiser <spectre@stockholm.ptloma.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 11/19/2001 13:30:28
> The fact is that Netatalk could be doing a more right thing than it
> is, by truncating the names or at least by logging a message on the
> server when a client tries to list a directory which contains file
> names they won't be able to get.

I would strongly prefer it didn't willy-nilly truncate. What if you had
filenames like

Document Discussing Some Inane Topic Of More than 32 Characters Part 1 of 114
Document Discussing Some Inane Topic Of More than 32 Characters Part 2 of 114
Document Discussing Some Inane Topic Of More than 32 Characters Part 3 of 114
:
:
etc.

You couldn't come up with a general rule for truncation in that regard
unless you resort to filth like MICROS~1's long file name kludge.

But I like the logging idea and I agree that ...

> Failing silently is clearly wrong.

Yes :-)

 Cameron Kaiser, Point Loma Nazarene University * ckaiser@stockholm.ptloma.edu
-- The world will end at 3 p.m. today, to be followed by a brief symposium. ---