Subject: Re: pppd answer dial in calls
To: T&B" , "port mac68k <port-mac68k@netbsd.org>
From: Bruce Anderson <brucea@shell.spacestar.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 11/18/2001 23:48:53
On Sun, Nov 18, 2001 5:40 PM, T&B <mailto:list.mac68k@tandb.com.au> wrote:
>I have a few remaining issues, with which I hope someone can help:
>
>4) The throughput speed (eg: ftp or http) is too slow at about 1kB/s. It's
the
>same on a IIcx or IIvx, accessing local or Internet servers. By contrast,
I get
>2.5kB/s dialing into a IIvx running Mac OS 7.6 and Remote Access, with the
same
>modem and cables. I get over 4kB/s dialing out through the same
connections.

Add to: /etc/ppp/peers/answer

 modem                          # use full modem control
 cdtrcts                        # use hardware flow control on Mac's

>6) Answering works with my Banksia Wave56 and Simple56 modems, but not a
>SupraFax33.6 (I get Serial Line Looped Back errors when it tries to
initialise)
>I tried 38400 serial speed. The Supra works okay with Mac OS and Remote
Access.

Add to: /etc/ppp/chat/answer
 E0  to modem init string (alwase after the &F command).

>7) With at least one dial in user, when they drop the connection, their
>software reports that the connection is dropped, but the modems at each
end
>keep the connection open.

Add  Y1 &D0  to modem init string (alwase after the &F command).
    # Y1 &D0   are essential to get the modem to hangup while using
    # cdtrcts  hardware flow control with external modems.
Add   S26=0  to modem init string (alwase after the &F command).
    # S26 is the "RTS to CTS delay register" (See your modem manual first).
    # Reduces silo overflows.

" Stamp out root logins .  .  .  . su "   --Bruce Anderson
 This message was created and sent using Cyberdog 2.0, MacOS 8.6,
 awk, find, sed, sendmail, sh, and NetBSD a free Multi-Platform OS.
 NetBSD runs on  44 different system architectures featuring 16
 distinct families of CPUs.   http://www.netbsd.org/