Subject: More Newbie questions, Netatalk, syslog and OpenSSH
To: None <port-mac68k@netbsd.org>
From: Todd McDaniel <lazymutt@mediaone.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 11/13/2001 01:24:09
My Quadra 800 is up and running. Thanks for all the help. It turned
out that I had only supplied my IPNetRouter box as a name server and
it was ssssllloooowwwww. I added a couple more appropriate DNS
entries and now everything is snappy.

I have a couple more easy questions:

1. I installed the netatalk-asun-2.1.3nb5.tgz package. I attempted to
follow the directions closely. I copied default copies of
atalkd.conf, afpd.conf and AppleVolumes.default into /etc/netatalk
and a copy of netatalk into /usr/pkg/etc/rc.d/netatalk. I then edited
rc.local with the following lines:

if [ -f /usr/pkg/etc/rc.d/netatalk ]; then
	/usr/pkg/etc/rc.d/netatalk
fi

When the machine boots, I can see a message from the top of netatalk
saying "Starting atalkd" but the services do not appear to actually
start. I seem to think I should be getting multiple messages for
services starting.

I manually launch "netatalk" and it tells me that atalkd is running,
but I can't see the machine in the chooser or telnet to the port. I
kill the atalkd process and relaunch "netatalk". I get the following
messages:

Starting atalkd.
nbp_rgstr: Connection timed out
Can't register q800:Workstation@*
nbp_rgstr: Connection timed out
Can't register q800:netatalk@*

Gah!!!! Any ideas?

2. Around 3:15am every night the machine seems to try and validate
it's domain name, I just rebooted and lost the specific error
messages. Is there anyway to redirect these messages off the screen?
This is part of syslogd, right?

3. I'd like to get ssh running on this machine. I see the package
"fressh-0.8.tgz", but no SSHv2 or OpenSSH. Has anyone successfully
compiled OpenSSH?

Thanks in advance!!!
Todd McDaniel