Subject: Re: xdm & Color
To: Frederick Bruckman <fredb@immanent.net>
From: Bob Nestor <rnestor@augustmail.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 11/11/2001 12:27:43
On 11/11/01 11:41 AM, Frederick Bruckman (fredb@immanent.net) wrote:

>On Sun, 11 Nov 2001, Paul Thompson wrote:
>
>> I recently re-built my Quadra 650 with NetBSD 1.5.0. It installs and runs
>> well. I configured XDM and that works great in 1bpp mode with the black and
>> white Xwindows. However if I install the colour X, XDM logs in then, dumps
>> the user and re-presents the login window. XDM error log reports:
>>
>> Xlib: connection to ":0.0" refused by server
>
>I think that's normal -- the xdm-style authentication will fail,
>because the server doesn't support it, but then "xdm" is supposed to
>fall back to the mit-style authentication.

I recall running into this when I first installed 1.5.2 as well.  I
finally tracked it down to an authentication problem and I solved it my
commenting out a line in one of the configuration files.  As I recall the
system wasn't falling back on mit-style authentication or wasn't doing
what it used to in previous versions.  Sorry I can't recall the file I
modified to fix the problem -- my 68k system was recently trashed by a
snapshot installation.  If nobody else finds the problem before I restore
things I'll post my workaround when I get done reinstalling 1.5.2.

-bob