Subject: Re: Progress Report...
To: Space Case <wormey@eskimo.com>
From: gabriel rosenkoetter <gr@eclipsed.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 09/30/2001 16:05:28
--PuGuTyElPB9bOcsM

On Sun, Sep 30, 2001 at 12:02:33PM -0700, Space Case wrote:
> ISTM that with DESTDIR set, it installs and uses the new includes out
> of DESTDIR, so that should be safe, right?  Binaries like make, on the
> other hand...

Well, theoretically. But I'm not convinced that all the kinks are
worked out of everything in the toolchain all the time, and I've
definitely done away with problems in a DESTDIR build by doing a
make includes with no DESTDIR set.

I guess my point is that getting a build of -current out without
figuring out *exactly* what was broken about a build may require
a bit of intuition and treading less lightly than you may like, so
keeping backups of stuff that you're liable to tread less than
lightly upon is healthy foresight. :^>

> Yeah, I don't expect it to be difficult.  Just time consuming.  And, spare
> time is something I don't have a lot of...

Your fortnightly snapshot builds belie that. I found myself
completely incapable of keeping up on macppc, and I'm just a student
with all the time in the world, right? ;^>

(Serioulsy, I should probably do a macppc snapshot some time
soon...)

--=20
       ~ g r @ eclipsed.net

--PuGuTyElPB9bOcsM