Subject: Re: Choosing a 68k Mac
To: None <port-mac68k@netbsd.org>
From: Matthew <mtheobalds@mac.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 09/28/2001 18:32:56
On Friday, September 28, 2001, at 06:25  am, Rob Jennings wrote:

> I'm new to NetBSD and this mailing list.  I'm hoping you guys can offer
> some advice.
>
> I'd like to choose a machine to run NetBSD/mac68k to accomplish the
> following:
>
> 1.  Serve web pages and a Perl CGI chess script.   The pages are
> spartan and the chess application is not real time.  I won't have more
> than 10 users accessing the site a few times per day.  I have cable
> internet access.
>
> 2. Run a mail server which will only be emailing my chess users when
> their opponent has made a move.
>
> 3. Share my cable internet access with my iMac running Mac OS 9.2 and
> one or more other machines.
>
> Is this possible on a IIci?  Or would a Centris or Quadra 650 be more
> appropriate?
>
> What about serving MP3 files (not playing them of course) to my iMac
> and other machines?  I'd like to add a headless and diskless mp3
> jukebox (maybe a NetBSD/i386 machine) to my network in the future.
>
> Thanks in advance for any suggestions.  I'm really looking forward to
> trying out NetBSD.  In all honesty I've never touched a Unix style
> command line before so I'm sure I'm in for a lot of, um, fun!?

I bought a Quadra 650 a couple of months ago... boy is it fast!

Prior to that I had a IIcx, which is now connected to some mad
connection in a friend's dad's office: gellum.deadpan.org. :]

My reaction would be to go with what you have already to begin with, but
after that go for the Quadra, the extra speed makes everything much more
pleasurable.

Welcome to the mailing list and NetBSD, by the way. :]

Take care,

~ Matthew