Subject: Re: Odd Lockup -- NetBSD 1.5.2 - Quadra 650
To: None <port-mac68k@netbsd.org>
From: Matthew <mtheobalds@mac.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 09/28/2001 18:25:02
On Thursday, September 27, 2001, at 10:09  pm, Richard UNGER wrote:

> Stupid question, but did you give it time? On my Q700 (only 20MB RAM),
> logging in by ssh sometimes takes several minutes while the machine
> swaps
> everything else out, and then readies itself for the task of logging me
> in. Basically what I am saying is that those venerable old machines can
> be
> very pokey compared to the GHZ box that is on most people's desks
> nowadays.
>
> If it ever happens again, you could try to do a trace at the debugger to
> see where you interrupted it, or at least list the processes to make
> sure
> sshd is still up...
>
> I'm only running 1.4.2 (custom kernel) but can happily report that is
> has
> never ever locked up on me... sometimes it just took a while to respond.
>
> my 2c.

Hi,

Yeah, I think I gave it time. I usually get a prompt in about a minute
when I ssh in, I gave it five or so. FTP the same.

I also forgot to mention that it broke when I typed "w", I got the first
lines:

matthew@sonic:~$ w
  5:10PM  up 19:47, 1 user, load averages: 0.29, 0.29, 0.23
USER   TTY FROM              LOGIN@  IDLE WHAT

but nothing else. After that we can say that it had locked up.

Though the services seemed nearly to be up, ie: I could telnet to port
22, just got no further than that.

I'm thinking that it may have been squid stealing all of my swap space.
So I'll see how it builds up over the next few days.

When you say that 1.4.2 took a while to respond, how long as we talking?

All the best.

~ Matthew