Subject: Re: Choosing a 68k Mac
To: Rob Jennings <robjennings@powersurfr.com>
From: Cameron Kaiser <spectre@stockholm.ptloma.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 09/27/2001 22:48:20
> 1.  Serve web pages and a Perl CGI chess script.   The pages are
> spartan and the chess application is not real time.  I won't have
> more than 10 users accessing the site a few times per day.  I have
> cable internet access.
> 2. Run a mail server which will only be emailing my chess users when
> their opponent has made a move.
> 3. Share my cable internet access with my iMac running Mac OS 9.2 and
> one or more other machines.
>
> Is this possible on a IIci?  Or would a Centris or Quadra 650 be more
> appropriate?

Definitely possible. My IIci does much more than that. Even though it's
got a 50MHz Daystar in it, I think a stock IIci is more than up to the
task of the above.

> What about serving MP3 files (not playing them of course) to my iMac
> and other machines?  I'd like to add a headless and diskless mp3
> jukebox (maybe a NetBSD/i386 machine) to my network in the future.

I'd look at a Quadra for any kind of large file server system, I think.
My IIci is fine for small files over AppleShare but I think I would over-
load it a bit with a lot of multimedia traffic like MP3 service.

This is all just My Opinion!

 Cameron Kaiser, Point Loma Nazarene University * ckaiser@stockholm.ptloma.edu
-- This message will self-destruct in five seconds. Good luck, Jim. -- M:I ----