Subject: Re: Yikes! Stuck...
To: Space Case <wormey@eskimo.com>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fredb@immanent.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 09/24/2001 09:13:35
On Sun, 23 Sep 2001, Space Case wrote:

> I have tried using the installer (versions e, g and h) to copy in a kernel
> for testing, but they all say:
> /: bad dir ino 2 at offset 0: mangled entry
> Yet, fsck finds nothing wrong with the filesystem.  Does this mean my
> filesystem is a level greater than the installer can grok?

Probably. If you have a spare partition anywhere, you could build a
file system with the installer that it can understand.

> In any case, I'm stuck.  I can't get new data into the system, and can't
> make what's there go.

The booter can boot from a kernel in the HFS partition. There's a box
to check to make it prompt for a file-system, so then you'd say "sd0a"
or whatever and proceed.

Another possibilty... "ifconfig" and "mount_nfs" are in "/sbin".

Still another, the "sysinstall" kernel has a menu to configure the
network, and "nfs" capability, and "ftp" too. Again, you'd boot from
the MacOS side.

> Any ideas?  If I do a clri on inum 2 (/. and /..) to try to fsck a repair,
> will that totally hose my filesystem?  (I expect it will, which is why I
> haven't tried it yet...)

Yeah, that sounds like a really bad idea. ;-)

Frederick