Subject: Re: No GENERICSBC kernel for 1.5.2 -- why?
To: None <port-mac68k@netbsd.org>
From: Matthew <mtheobalds@mac.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 09/23/2001 18:19:12
On Sunday, September 23, 2001, at 06:08  pm, John Klos wrote:

>>> but others don't. Given how many times people with disk-related
>>> problems
>>> have been pointed to SBC kernels by list members, I strongly doubt
>>> shipping
>>> only a kernel with the ncrscsi driver is a wise move.
>>>
>>> Comments? If I see none, I shall send-pr the issue.
>>
>> I'd second that, and I wondered this myself, as I've been installing on
>> a disk which requires an SBC kernel.
>>
>> It has, if I remember correctly, been like this since 1.5.1, and if
>> there is no good reason for it, probably ought to be changed.
>

> I'd really like to know WHY there is a different driver for NCR and for
> SBC. Is there a compelling reason for not selecting a driver based upon
> the model of the Mac? I can say for certain that no Quadra that I have
> worked with (605, 610, 650, 700, 800, 950, Centrises, Quadra 660AV,
> 840AV)
> ever needed an SBC kernel, so perhaps they're appropriate for m68030
> Macs,
> such as the IIsi and IIci.

Purely for the sake of interest: The machine to which I was referring is
a 68020 IIcx, though only with a certain (350 MB, IBM) disk. GENERIC
works fine with my other disks.

> So why not have a kernel with both drivers that selects the driver at
> boot
> time based on the model?

Why not indeed? :] Is it feasible? I ask because (as mentioned above) it
seems slightly more than machine / proc dependant. But I'm sure you
wizards will find some way of making it work. :]

All the best.

~ Matthew