Subject: Re: Quadra 800 Scsi problems
To: Ken Nagorski <kenn@pcintelligent.com>
From: John Klos <john@sixgirls.org>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 09/23/2001 13:01:01
Hello,

> I have a Quadra 800 that I am trying to install on. I have had random SCSI
> problems however. One of the main problems is that Although when I got it
> there where three drives in it. I took one out to get a cdrom on it and
> then put the drives back. Now I cannot get it to load even mac os ( so
> much for the install of BSD ) At any rate I cannot figure out what
> cahnged. Is there some way to reset the SCSI bus or somehting on a mac? I
> am totally stuck here and I not finding anything on the net that helps.

The SCSI bus is as reset as it gets after the machine is powered down.

Eliminate the obvious possibilities - last device on physical chain
terminated, no others; double check the SCSI ID numbers of all the
devices; check that all the pins on all the devices are straight.

I do not mean to sound preachy, but I think a number of people who try to
get NetBSD running on m68k Macs do not realise that NetBSD tries to run
the SCSI bus faster than MacOS does, so although it may be true that a
SCSI bus worked fine in MacOS, there could still be problems with it.

So please do check out all possibilities. I have a number of Quadra 650 /
800s running at 40 MHz with no problems whatsoever. They generally have
excellent uptimes (affected only by upgrading to a newer version of
NetBSD).

John Klos
--
"On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament!], `Pray,
Mr.  Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right