Subject: Re: Mounting Floppies
To: Randy Beaudreault <maccult@pacbell.net>
From: David Burgess <burgess@neonramp.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 09/14/2001 15:12:35
Randy Beaudreault wrote:

> >Greetings, all.
> >
> >Does NetBSD/mac68k have no floppy support still? When I try to mount
> >the floppy I get:
> >
> >       mount_ffs: /dev/fd on /floppy: Block device required
> >
> >How do I supply a "Block device"?
> >
> >If I cannot mount a floppy from within NetBSD, is there a Mac OS
> >tool I can use which will copy the raw floppy image from NetBSD/i386
> >so that I can boot the computer I was recently given?
> >
> >Thanks for any help.
> >
> >~ Matthew
> >
> >"Whoot!" for NetBSD 1.5.2, by the way. :]
>
> Yep, you use Disk Copy.  That will copy raw floppy images of any
> kind.  You may have to change the type and creator codes to get it to
> recognize your downloaded image though.

As far as I know, DiskCopy is a MacOS utility.

The short answer to the question you just asked is basically:

Short way:  use /dev/rfd0a when mount a floppy.  This is the 'raw'
(block) device, rather than the 'cooked' device (which can be as a
character-at-a-time device).  Also, unless you are mount an FFS or UFS
floppy, you will probably to include a '-t' type flag.  The '-t' will
vary depending one what is on the floppy.

'man mount' should give you the rest of the details.