Subject: Booting with a floppy WITHOUT ejecting
To: None <port-mac68k@netbsd.org>
From: Joe Laffey <joe@laffeycomputer.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 09/10/2001 08:36:39
Ever wanted to boot NetBSD without having to have a MacOS partition on
your HD? When you do it with a floppy the disk gets ejected, making remote
reboots impossible.

If anyone is interested I have some up with a solution for booting NetBSD
Mac68k with a floppy WITHOUT having the floppy eject when the NetBSD
kernel is started up.

If anyone is interested I can put together a brief HOWTO.

Quick rundown:

*	I modified the Booter app so the Mac side won;t eject the disk
	(also updated it to compile with CW 6)

*	I modified the iwm_fd.c floppy drive code so that it does NOT
	eject a high density disk at startup (comment out one line).

*	This means rebuilding the kernel (which I can provide if needed)

*	Put the Booter app on a floppy in the System Folder and rename it
	"Finder", give it type/creator 'FNDR'/'MACS'.
	(The System came from a System 7 Disk Utilities Floppy, so it is a
	very lean system file.)

That's it. If anyone is interested please let me know here and I can post
the code changes needed and anything else required.

Joe Laffey
LAFFEY Computer Imaging
St. Louis, MO
Need to do multi-file string replacement in Un*x, but don't want to mess
with sed? Try rpl. It's a free text replacement utility with source.
http://www.laffeycomputer.com/rpl.html  -- Check it out!