Subject: Disk Corruption Problems!
To: None <port-mac68k@netbsd.org>
From: None <segfault@mac.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 09/01/2001 21:48:47
Hi all,

I have a Quadra 605 (aka LC 475) with NetBSD 1.5.1 installed. I keep
encountering what seem like constant disk corruption problems. When the
computer is running, there seemed to be no problems... I turned on the
check_fsck option in rc.conf. Every morning (about 3am), the computer
performs fsck on the hard drives.

It seems the hard drives gets corrupted pretty often--with no apparant
reason. Most often, there are complaints of obsessive DUP blocks. Other
than that, there are also often unreferenced inodes, that was cleared
during fsck.

What is even stranger, when I do fsck in multiuser mode, it does not
seem to fix the problem. Obviously, I cannot remount the disk as
read-only(root partition). So I tried to clear all disk operations using
sync. First run of fsck appeared to fix all the problems, but successive
fsck runs show up the exact same problems. However, when I reboot the
system into single user mode, then do another fsck--the same problem
disappeared.

Although there appears to be no data loss (all the vital data are stored
in another hard drive, which  almost always checked out ok), the fact
that these errors appears on my logs is disturbing.

Any idea what is the cause of this?

Thanks for help...

Lucas.