Subject: buffer overruns, SUP crashes, DHCP questions, etc
To: None <port-mac68k@netbsd.org>
From: None <vricks@guilford.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 08/31/2001 13:43:49
Hi,

My system:  A Mac IIsi, 320M hard drive, 17M RAM, Asante Ethernet card
-- trying to use/learn/play around with 1.5.1
-- connected to an on-campus LAN (several T1 lines to the "external" world
from campus)

Every couple of minutes (not just during bootup), I get the "ae0:  warning
- receiver ring buffer overrun" message.  I've also noticed that I can't
get sup to run.  That is, I type "sup -s" or "sup -s -v"; sup starts, the
disk grinds for a while, then the next thing I know, I've been logged out
and am looking at a login prompt.  How likely is it that the netword card
overruns and the sup crashes are related?  Is there a (relatively easy) way
to slow down the traffic coming through to my machine?

Meanwhile, I'm having DHCP problems.  How should I configure the
"/etc/dhclient-script" file?  Right now, the DHCP client seems to run twice
during startup, and I'm not sure why.  Also, if I'm getting the ip address
from a DHCP server, then how can I know what entry to put in my /etc/hosts
file so that the network knows who my machine is?
Sorry for the newbie-type questions.  I'm continuing to look for answers to
these questions myself (Thanks, Google!) but thought that I'd post here,
too.  Just covering my bases.

Thanks.

V. Ricks