Subject: Re: Mac68k: Trashing a SCSI-Disk with disklabel???
To: None <port-mac68k@netbsd.org>
From: None <Martin.Leidig@ePost.de>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 08/28/2001 00:51:55
Alexander Klein [2001-08-28 00.16 +0200]:
>At 18:31 Uhr +0200 27.08.2001, Frederick Bruckman wrote:
>
> >> And has anyone any idea what could be done to revive the disk?
> >Boot into NetBSD and use "dd" to zero out the first 32k or so.
>
>I tried that, but it didn't work.
>
>It turned out that the magnetic structure of the disk itself was damaged in
>a way that made it impossible to do a low-level-format under MacOS.

Did you try Transofts "SCSI Director"?  Was discontinued a couple of years ago but still functions with not too modern MacOS' (I used it recently with 8.6) and is able to reanimate disks being switched off in the midst of a 'low level format' on a PC SCSI adapter.

-Moss-
--
-eof-