Subject: Re: Best Macs for use with NetBSD
To: None <macwizard1@lycos.com>
From: J. Benedict <raoul@olympus.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 08/21/2001 08:22:07
>Hi,
>I am considering buying another 68k Mac for use with NetBSD because of the
>lack of FPE support for my (68LC040) PB540c.
>Could anybody tell me which machines work best running under NetBSD?
>Thanks i advance,

I've been using NetBSD/mac68k for about five years now (could it be that
long???)

I've had it up on a SE/30, a IIcx, a IIci and a Quadra 800.  They all
worked very well.  I have mainly used these boxen for servers of various
types- for the most part in a server cabinet, so my experience may be
different than yours.

IMHO, a Quadra 800 is about the 'ultimate' for NetBSD/mac68k.  It's the
fastest box the OS runs on and it is built from the get-go as a server.
There is plenty of space inside for drives; it's true that big drives are
pretty cheap new these days but it is really handy to be about to use two
'free' 1 gig drives, if you know what I mean.

Many Quadra 800s also came with CD-ROM drives which can be handy. 'Someone'
on the list makes NetBSD CDs available cheap and it is handy to have the
bits locally.  Also, with burners being cheap and even standard on boxes
these days, it is a convienient way to make an FTP archive on a CD.
Cheaper, too.

All in all, if I was buying a box for NetBSD/mac68k, I'd get a Quadra 800.
Next down the list, Quadra 650 even thought I haven't run NetBSD/mac68k on
it.  It's harder to run more than one drive on it (although I suppose I
could sacrifice the floppy drive for a hard drive bay) but still a good
box.  After that, the IIci.  The Quadra 700 seems to have 'issues' that I
haven't read about 'cause I don't care. ;)

BTW:

Anyone want a genuine Apple release of A/UX 3.0- boot disks, CD, user
manuals (no Admin manuals)? Runs on the IIci and older. The next trip for
these might be the dumper unless someone wants them.  $10 for shipping
anywhere gets 'em.

Jeff

--
Jeffrey E. Benedict * raoul@olympus.net *
"You are a thick person; a simple plank in a world of veneer."- E Varden in ADFP