Subject: Re: HFS Utilities Package
To: Randy Beaudreault <maccult@pacbell.net>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fredb@immanent.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 08/12/2001 02:45:54
On Sat, 11 Aug 2001, Randy Beaudreault wrote:

> >The hfsutils package has only the command line tools ("hls", "hcd",
> >&c). The Tcl shell "hfs" the Tk gui "xhfs" were split out into the
> >xhfs package.
>
> I can understand splitting xhfs out to xhfs, but why hfs?  What makes
> it different for the rest of the commands beyond requiring Tcl?

That's the difference -- Tcl. I seem to remember that the package, at
one time, didn't even install tclsh and xhfs. In order to keep the
requirements low for the benefit of underpowered Macs they had to go
into another package. It didn't seem quite right to me, either, at
first, to have tclsh go with the Tk script, rather than with the
command line tools, but it was pointed out that it's probably rare to
see Tcl installed on machines that can't handle Tk, and X.

Frederick