Subject: NetBSD NFS Server
To: None <port-mac68k@netbsd.org>
From: Matthew Theobalds <mtheobalds@mac.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 08/11/2001 14:49:32
Hi all,

I've been trying to set up my NetBSD machine as an NFS server so that I
can NFS Mount stuff onto my OS X machine.

I've read the man pages and followed several instructions on the web,
but nothing quite seems to work. The problem of course could be with the
OS X machine, but I'll show you what I've done, and where I might be
going wrong:

/etc/exports
/home/matthew/public_html       maproot=root:wheel      192.168.1.3 #
That's the IP of the OS X Machine.

Everything I've read seems to suggest different things in this file.

/etc/inetd.conf
# All RPC services commented out and inetd restarted.

`/etc/rc.d/nfsd start' doesn't work, but `/usr/sbin/nfsd -tun 4' does
indeed start the nfsd server.

I also ran `/usr/sbin/mountd', which doesn't seem to start the mount
daemon.

Doing `mount_nfs sonic:/home/matthew/public_html Mount' from my OS X
machine gives the following error:

	NFS Portmap: RPC: Port mapper failure - RPC: Timed out
	NFS Portmap: RPC: Port mapper failure - RPC: Timed out

etc, etc.

Furthermore, all of the guides on the web are geared towards GNU/Linux
systems which seem to have additional mysterious rpc daemons.

Any help and pointers will be very much appreciated.

All the best.
~ Matthew

[ Apparently I get Chocolate Cake for my birthday dinner, tonight! ]