Subject: Re: Newbie Qs: PB 540 vs. LCIII as router
To: None <mikeride@mac.com>
From: John <jean@sixgirls.org>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 08/10/2001 14:44:07
>>Assuming your broadband connection comes in via ethernet, wouldn't you
>>need two ethernet interfaces to function as a router?  I don't think
>>either the powerbook 540 or the LCIII can support more than one
>>ethernet.
>>
>>If you are going to route packets back out over the same interface they
>>come in on then maybe one is enough, but that doesn't sound like the
>>best idea to me.
>
> It's generally doable...you can use a hub, connect the DSL/cable
> modem via X-over cable to the hub. Your router computer will get the
> DHCP lease, & use NAT to let the others onto the Internet. I'm
> currently using an 840AV for that purpose, as my ISP requires PPPOE.

PPPoE usually implies crappy ADSL from the likes of Bell Atlantic and other
unscrupulous monopoly-weilding companies.

It is usually so SLOW that doing NAT and Internet over the same interface,
even on an LC III, will still be faster than the line itself.

It is with cable modems and other forms of real DSL that require two ethernet
cards (my cable modem gives me up to 500k to 600k a second for things like
downloading Netscape or other piered networks).

John