Subject: Re: Newbie Qs: PB 540 vs. LCIII as router
To: David Dierauer <david.dierauer@voyager.net>
From: John Klos <john@sixgirls.org>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 08/10/2001 12:55:18
> I am looking into getting a broadband connection for my home network,
> and would like to set up a router using a *nix machine. I've got two
> 68K machines just sitting around (a PowerBook 540 and an LCIII), and
> it would be ideal if one of them could be set up for the task.

One with two ethernet cards would be best. The PowerBook can take a PCMCIA
ethernet, but NetBSD doesn't support the PCMCIA slots yet.

> I looked over the supported machines table on the web site
> <http://www.macbsd.com/macbsd/macbsd-docs/machine-status/>
> but I'm not sure I completely understand it. I see that the LCIII is
> in the "fully working" category, but am not sure what "needed" means
> in the fpu column. Does that mean I need to add FPU to the machine to
> make it possible to run netBSD on it? If so, it sounds like I'm out
> of luck, since I also have to add ethernet to it to use it as a
> router, and there's only one open slot.

The FPU emulation on 68020s and 68030s has no known problems. But many PDS
ethernet cards come with a 68882 socket.

> I also note that the PB540 is in the category "partially working",
> but I don't have any sense as to what the practical implications of
> that are. It seems fpu-related, but would that affect its performance
> as a router?

The video isn't (well) supported, and the LC040 is very problematic.

> Additional Qs:
> 1) If the PB seems more promising: it has built-in ethernet, but I
> don't have an AAUI transceiver for it yet; does it matter what kind I
> get?

Just get one with 10-base-T, if that's what you're using.

> 2) If the LCIII seems more promising: I'd need to get an ethernet
> card for it: suggestions on brands and/or inexpensive sources of
> cards? (I'd also need additional memory.)

eBay, about $7 to $12 dollars. Memory - the LC III takes standard 72 pin,
32 bit SIMMs. Get a cheap 32 meg SIMM from anywhere (in NYC, I literally
find them in computers in the trash from time to time).

> Any suggestions on which machine would be more usable would be appreciated.

Unfortunately, neither is ideal; neither can support two ethernets.
Perhaps a dedicated, additional Mac is in order. I have three Quadras set
up so far, as IP NAT routers; I get excellent speeds because of the fact
that the NuBus and motherboard ethernet are 32 bit (over 500k/sec). One is
serving about ten computers in my apartment, and another is doing IP NAT
for eight public access rental computers in a copy shop.

I also have a Quadra 660AV with a NuBus adapter and a NuBus ethernet that
will be made into an IP NAT router, too; it's a bit smaller (or flatter,
at least) than the Quadra 650/800s. I found mine in the trash, but they
can be had on eBay for very little money.

Good luck,
John Klos