Subject: Newbie Qs: PB 540 vs. LCIII as router
To: None <port-mac68k@netbsd.org>
From: David Dierauer <david.dierauer@voyager.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 08/10/2001 11:51:05
I am looking into getting a broadband connection for my home network,
and would like to set up a router using a *nix machine. I've got two
68K machines just sitting around (a PowerBook 540 and an LCIII), and
it would be ideal if one of them could be set up for the task.

I looked over the supported machines table on the web site
<http://www.macbsd.com/macbsd/macbsd-docs/machine-status/>
but I'm not sure I completely understand it. I see that the LCIII is
in the "fully working" category, but am not sure what "needed" means
in the fpu column. Does that mean I need to add FPU to the machine to
make it possible to run netBSD on it? If so, it sounds like I'm out
of luck, since I also have to add ethernet to it to use it as a
router, and there's only one open slot.

I also note that the PB540 is in the category "partially working",
but I don't have any sense as to what the practical implications of
that are. It seems fpu-related, but would that affect its performance
as a router?

Additional Qs:
1) If the PB seems more promising: it has built-in ethernet, but I
don't have an AAUI transceiver for it yet; does it matter what kind I
get?
2) If the LCIII seems more promising: I'd need to get an ethernet
card for it: suggestions on brands and/or inexpensive sources of
cards? (I'd also need additional memory.)

Any suggestions on which machine would be more usable would be appreciated.
--
David Dierauer
Database Programmer