Subject: Re: Testing Ethernet
To: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@asim.lip6.fr>
From: David Burgess <burgess@neonramp.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 07/30/2001 08:19:35
Manuel Bouyer wrote:

> On Sun, Jul 29, 2001 at 08:01:02PM -0500, David Burgess wrote:
> > Manuel Bouyer wrote:

> > > You can use 'ttcp'. It's in pkgsrc, in net/ if I remember properly.
> >
> > There is a warning in the ttcp config docs that describe the
> > information you get back at higher speeds as "wildly inaccurate".
>
> For bemchamrking different interfaces in the same machine it should be good
> enouth

For relativity testing, I'm certain that you are absolutely correct
and I totally agree.  I was just trying to say "Don't count on the
_data_ being accurate.  The _information_ produced will still be
valid enough, though."

I've had people I know try to test 100M Swithched Ethernet with it
(as an example) and it underreported throughput by something like
70%...  On the other hand, it always reports it the same, so whatever
it's doing, it's doing consistently.  On DSL lines I've tested, it
was about 10% low.

Have fun!

Dave