Subject: Re: "double lines"
To: None <port-mac68k@netbsd.org>
From: John Valdes <valdes@uchicago.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 07/24/2001 22:31:42
On Fri, Jul 20, 2001 at 03:23:46PM -0700, Cameron Kaiser wrote:
> After upgrading my IIci to 128MB, I'm getting some strange behaviour. In two
> consecutive kernel builds (my standard stress test), both times after around
> a couple hours compiling, the machine hangs up. When I connected up a monitor
> to look at the debugger output, there was no debugger -- just two black
> horizontal lines on the left.
>
> Rebooting was uneventful, and the next time it did it again.
>
> I'm having MacOS do a thorough memory check as both a stress test and check
> for any intermittent failures, but so far nothing on either count. Does this
> sound familiar to anyone? IIci, 128MB, Quantum Fireball 2.05GB, Daystar '030
> 50MHz, 1.4.2 with daystar patches.

No idea, but some questions which may perhaps illuminate someone else:
Are you using the internal video on the IIci, or a NuBus video card?
If internal video, does the same problem happen if you use NuBus
video?  (I ask since the IIci uses part of main memory for video
memory, and perhaps it doesn't like the SIMMs you're using; although
if this were the case, I'd expect problems under MacOS as well.)  If
you remove half the SIMMs, does the problem go away?  How about if you
remove the remaining SIMMs and reinstall the first batch?  Also, do
you know if your IIci uses parity SIMMs?  (Some versions of the IIci
could use parity memory, 'though I don't know how to distinguish
between those that do and those that don't.)  If so, do your SIMMs
have a parity chip?

John