Subject: Re: 6100 BSD?
To: None <port-mac68k@netbsd.org>
From: Matthew Theobalds <mtheobalds@mac.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 07/14/2001 12:17:23
On Friday, July 13, 2001, at 01:58  pm, mcmahill@mtl.mit.edu wrote:

> someone has been looking into how to get netbsd booted on the NuBus
> PPC's,
> but as far as i know they haven't got it to go yet.  I believe its an
> issue of how to get it booted.  the Macppc port relies on the
> openfirmware
> which the 6100 doesn't have.

As we know, mkLinux <http://www.mklinux.org/> boots on these machines, I
used it for a short while. I was never terribly impressed, definitely
inferior to NetBSD. However, since they obviously managed to get it to
boot, using the mkLinux Booter, which I think is actually named "The
MkLinux Booter", can't we see whether or not this can be adapted to
NetBSD?

Perhaps the ppc port would be a more appropriate place for this, but
surely something can be learned from the way in which the mkLinux booter
works?

All the best.

Matthew