Subject: Re: Quadra 650 or 700?
To: None <port-mac68k@netbsd.org>
From: J. Seth Henry <jshenry@net-noise.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 07/12/2001 09:13:44
I'm not sure what the confusion is all about? The Q650 and the Q800 have
the same logic board (the 650 is just clocked slower). The I/O is better,
the system runs faster, supports 72pin SIMMs, and best of all, can be
converted into a Q800 very easily. I actually owned a Q700 for a while,
and replaced its logic board with a Centris 650 board (that now believes
it is a Q800 board).

If the floppy is the only thing holding this up, ask yourself how often
you use the floppy in BSD - or even in MacOS? I keep one around for
emergencies, but most of the time - it's nothing more than a dust catcher.

The only other downside is the video - the Q650/800 don't support 24-bit
color onboard - but X runs just fine in 16-bit, so I don't see this as a
major problem. The video system is also a tad faster than the Q700's

Maybe it's just me - but this seems like a no-brainer. Go for the Q650.

Seth Henry
jshenry@net-noise.com