Subject: Re: Quadra 650 or 700?
To: Cameron Kaiser <spectre@stockholm.ptloma.edu>
From: Hauke Fath <hauke@Espresso.Rhein-Neckar.DE>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 07/12/2001 08:37:25
At 22:36 Uhr +0200 11.7.2001, Cameron Kaiser wrote:
>> Anyone who has used either or both machines: could you comment, and
>> recommend one over the other? The 650 is likely to be quicker than the
>> 700, from all I've gathered, is this a sound assumption?
>
>The 650 is faster, though not massively so (benchmark 14.6x SE for the 650
>vs. 11.9x for the 700), but it holds more memory and has another NuBus slot.
>(However, the 700 has AAUI standard, which I consider worth "half a slot" :-)

As has already been pointed out, the _Quadra_ 650 has onboard ethernet, too.

>I think the 700's max is only 68MB (even my IIci does better than that),
>including the 4MB on the board (and since you can only see 64MB in the 700's
>configuration, 4MB on your SIMMs is lost if you max out the RAM bank).

Huh? My Q700 has 4x16 MByte SIMMs, and I sure do see 68 MByte in total...

The Q700 board layout is annoying in that one Nubus slot and the PDS slot
are mutually exclusive (probably done that way to push Q900 sales).

The Q700 is the only 68040 Macintosh that came with a SWIM floppy
controller and therefore the only Quadra supported by the iwm(4) driver. It
is one of the last Macintoshes with an auto-inject floppy drive, too. Not
that it mattered much...

Because of the memory issue, I'd go with the Q650.

	hauke