Subject: Re: Quadra 650 or 700?
To: Matthew Theobalds <mtheobalds@mac.com>
From: Cameron Kaiser <spectre@stockholm.ptloma.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 07/11/2001 13:36:55
> I'm definitely leaning towards the 650; quieter, less power consumption,
> more readily-available RAM, more expandable, faster processor.
>
> Anyone who has used either or both machines: could you comment, and
> recommend one over the other? The 650 is likely to be quicker than the
> 700, from all I've gathered, is this a sound assumption?

The 650 is faster, though not massively so (benchmark 14.6x SE for the 650
vs. 11.9x for the 700), but it holds more memory and has another NuBus slot.
(However, the 700 has AAUI standard, which I consider worth "half a slot" :-)
I think the 700's max is only 68MB (even my IIci does better than that),
including the 4MB on the board (and since you can only see 64MB in the 700's
configuration, 4MB on your SIMMs is lost if you max out the RAM bank).

The 700's primary advantage is a nice small form factor (same size as a
IIci) and more importantly built-in Ethernet, but if you have an extra
Ethernet card sitting around, then you have no good reason to go with the
700 (especially if you're getting them for the same price).

I like the 700s fine, though, and they're nice systems. It may still be
worth your while to pick both up, but if you can only get one, yes, you
should get the 650.

 Cameron Kaiser, Point Loma Nazarene University * ckaiser@stockholm.ptloma.edu
-- We only pretend to have standards. -- Unknown producer, ABC-TV -------------