Subject: Quadra 650 or 700?
To: None <port-mac68k@netbsd.org>
From: Matthew Theobalds <mtheobalds@mac.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 07/11/2001 21:17:27
Hi all,

I am looking to supplement my collection or NetBSD/mac68k machines with=20=

either a Quadra 650 or 700. Both are the same price, (=A315), and I'll=20=

replace the Hard Disks anyway.

The 700 has 20MB or RAM, but the 650 only 4. Obviously I'd need to buy=20=

more for the 650, though it uses 72pin SIMMS which are quite easy to=20
come by.

(I actually picked up some 30pins SIMMS today for my other machine from=20=

the 'lucky dip' at my local computer shop, unfortunately they were 8 x=20=

1MB SIMMS -- which I already had, alas.)

I'm definitely leaning towards the 650; quieter, less power consumption,=20=

more readily-available RAM, more expandable, faster processor.

Anyone who has used either or both machines: could you comment, and=20
recommend one over the other? The 650 is likely to be quicker than the=20=

700, from all I've gathered, is this a sound assumption?

All the best.

Matthew