Subject: Re: cc fatal signals
To: gabriel rosenkoetter <gr@eclipsed.net>
From: Cameron Kaiser <spectre@stockholm.ptloma.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 07/10/2001 21:39:01
> > How much swap do you have configured? I compiled my kernel with 32MB of RAM,
> > and I have another 128MB of swap. I like big swap allocations, since you'll
> > never know when you'll need them or when a memory leak will ruin your day.
>
> Ugh. Hope you're not using a kernel with UBC. If you are, that's why
> interactive performance in X is so slow when you're, say, burning
> a CD-R.

There's such a thing as too much swap, sure, but I've run into far more
cases where I guessed way too low than too high. My ANS box has run out of
paging space at least twice, and that wasn't pretty (granted AIX is much
more aggressive about VM allocation even with free memory available, but I
digress). I'd rather guess high and be debugging performance than guess low
and crash. But that's my preference :-)

 Cameron Kaiser, Point Loma Nazarene University * ckaiser@stockholm.ptloma.edu
-- If you think ignorance is expensive, try education. ------------------------