Subject: Re: cc fatal signals
To: gabriel rosenkoetter <gr@eclipsed.net>
From: David Brownlee <abs@netbsd.org>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 07/10/2001 23:44:40
On Tue, Jul 10, 2001 at 01:13:05PM -0700, Cameron Kaiser wrote:
> How much swap do you have configured? I compiled my kernel with 32MB of RAM,
> and I have another 128MB of swap. I like big swap allocations, since you'll
> never know when you'll need them or when a memory leak will ruin your day.

	On the flip side of swap: Every swap page configured consumes a
	tiny amount of wired memory to manage, so adding an overly large
	quantity of swap on a low memory system can _reduce_ performance.

	Of course insufficient swap can cause much more pain if you run
	out of VM, so its always a question of balance. One reasonable
	rule is to configure a reasonable amout of swap (say 2xRAM),
	load up every app you could think you'd want to run at once,
	then a couple more, plus mozilla if you haven't already and
	have an x11 server. Start a big compile and watch the output
	of 'swapctl -l' - if you still have half your swap space left,
	you're OK :) If you've not hit swap... I like your machine.

--
		David/absolute		-- www.netbsd.org: No hype required --