Subject: Re: cc fatal signals
To: None <port-mac68k@netbsd.org>
From: Matthew Theobalds <mtheobalds@mac.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 07/10/2001 23:12:04
On Tuesday, July 10, 2001, at 10:45  pm, Thilo Manske wrote:

> On Tue, Jul 10 2001 at 19:20:49 +0100, Matthew Theobalds wrote:
>> Whilst compiling the kernel, I got the following errors, the first
>> after
>> waking up, the second an hour after that:
>>
>> cc: Internal compiler error: program cc1 got fatal signal 4
>> *** Error code 1
> Signal 4 is "illegal instruction" (see <sys/signal.h>)
>
>> cc: Internal compiler error: program cc1 got fatal signal 10
>> *** Error code 1
> Signal 10 is "bus error"
>
> If they happen sporadic (but not always) in a non-reproducable manner
> they
> could be a sign of hardware problems. (Signal 11 aka "segmentation
> violation"
> would be another candidate, especially on other architectures like
> i386).
>
> Check temperature/cooling of your CPU/FPU. (In my experiences sporadic
> hardware problems with CPUs, harddiscs, tranceivers ... are usually
> caused
> by heat)
>
> If your Mac has a case without much air circulation (e.g. LC/Performa)
> let
> it run with open (or without) case to see if it happens again.
>
> If your CPU (FPU) is socketed or on a daughter card you might want to
> reseat
> it (pull it carefully(!) out and put it carefully(!) back in) -
> sometimes
> this helps.
>
> Check/reseat the RAMs, cache, whatever....

I put the machine in a cupboard to keep the noise down (I also
ventilated the cupboard); I monitored it for several days to ensure that
temperature was reasonable, but this is a possible and likely cause.
I'll take off the case and run it outside tonight. It's a IIcx, by the
way.

I'll reseat the other things next time it is convenient. Your mention of
RAM makes me wonder whether I have too little, and reminds me of the
other problem that only half of it is being used -- perhaps it is bad.

I assume that the error codes are the same as their MacOS counterparts,
would this be correct?

Finally, is it okay just to type `make` and let it continue from where
it left off, or is that likely to cause problems later?

Thanks, all the best.

Matthew