Subject: Re: cc fatal signals
To: None <port-mac68k@netbsd.org>
From: Thilo Manske <Thilo.Manske@HEH.Uni-Oldenburg.DE>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 07/10/2001 23:45:46
On Tue, Jul 10 2001 at 19:20:49 +0100, Matthew Theobalds wrote:
> Whilst compiling the kernel, I got the following errors, the first after
> waking up, the second an hour after that:
>
> cc: Internal compiler error: program cc1 got fatal signal 4
> *** Error code 1
Signal 4 is "illegal instruction" (see <sys/signal.h>)

> cc: Internal compiler error: program cc1 got fatal signal 10
> *** Error code 1
Signal 10 is "bus error"

If they happen sporadic (but not always) in a non-reproducable manner they
could be a sign of hardware problems. (Signal 11 aka "segmentation violation"
would be another candidate, especially on other architectures like i386).

Check temperature/cooling of your CPU/FPU. (In my experiences sporadic
hardware problems with CPUs, harddiscs, tranceivers ... are usually caused
by heat)

If your Mac has a case without much air circulation (e.g. LC/Performa) let
it run with open (or without) case to see if it happens again.

If your CPU (FPU) is socketed or on a daughter card you might want to reseat
it (pull it carefully(!) out and put it carefully(!) back in) - sometimes
this helps.

Check/reseat the RAMs, cache, whatever....
--
Dies ist Thilos Unix Signature! Viel Spass damit.