Subject: Re: cc fatal signals
To: None <port-mac68k@netbsd.org>
From: Matthew Theobalds <mtheobalds@mac.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 07/10/2001 21:51:28
On Tuesday, July 10, 2001, at 09:13  pm, Cameron Kaiser wrote:

>> Whilst we're on the subject, this has also happened with various other
>> programs. Could it be because of a lack of RAM?
>
> How much swap do you have configured? I compiled my kernel with 32MB of
> RAM,
> and I have another 128MB of swap. I like big swap allocations, since
> you'll
> never know when you'll need them or when a memory leak will ruin your
> day.

64MB Swap. Though I think it'd be worthwhile getting some more RAM. I'll
see if I can find any insanely cheap!

>> The machine only has
>> 8MB, and NetBSD only uses about half that:
>>
>> total memory = 8192 KB
>> avail memory = 3860 KB
>>
>> How can I get all 8MB to be used?
>
> How are you getting this figure?

`dmesg | grep memory`

It is also given weight by `top`:

Memory: 1348K Act, 556K Inact, 252K Wired, 372K Free, 9964K Swp, 53M Swp
free

Certainly not the whole 8MB there. (I'm sure it added up to about twice
that earlier, ie: 4MB). Strange. Any ideas?

All the best.

Matthew