Subject: cc fatal signals
To: None <port-mac68k@netbsd.org>
From: Matthew Theobalds <mtheobalds@mac.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 07/10/2001 19:20:49
Whilst compiling the kernel, I got the following errors, the first after
waking up, the second an hour after that:

cc: Internal compiler error: program cc1 got fatal signal 4
*** Error code 1

Stop.

cc: Internal compiler error: program cc1 got fatal signal 10
*** Error code 1

Stop.

Fortunately, make can resume from where it left off here. However, is
there any way to prevent such things happening? Apart from it looking
quite serious, it's annoying because every so often I have to restart
the make (other than doing "make || make || make ...", of course).

Whilst we're on the subject, this has also happened with various other
programs. Could it be because of a lack of RAM? The machine only has
8MB, and NetBSD only uses about half that:

total memory = 8192 KB
avail memory = 3860 KB

How can I get all 8MB to be used? Is it because the memory used by Mac
OS and associated applications cannot be reclaimed by NetBSD? Though I
browsed the old discussion on this topic, and everyone appears to lose a
bit of RAM, the reason was not clear.

Perhaps we could add this to the FAQ, if indeed there is an Answer.

All the best.

Matthew