Subject: Re: Bulding a Kernel
To: Matthew Theobalds <mtheobalds@mac.com>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fredb@immanent.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 07/08/2001 13:53:17
On Sun, 8 Jul 2001, Matthew Theobalds wrote:

> I have concluded that the file I downloaded either was broken already,
> or broke whilst downloading, since I get this error:
>
> tar: Skipping to next file header...
>
> gzip: stdin: invalid compressed data--format violated
> tar: child returned status 1

> > I should ask you first, what system you're running. What good is a
> > current kernel without the current sources? If you're only building a
> > custom kernel, you should be building a kernel with sources that match
> > the system you have.
>
> I have a binary of the -current kernel, and the rest of the system is
> -current, I wanted to build my own kernel to remove the bits I don't
> need, and hopefully get a slight performance increase.

OK. Since it looks like you have to download new sources, anyway, the
easiest way to get only the kernel sources is probably

  CVSROOT=anoncvs@anoncvs.netbsd.org:/cvsroot cvs co -P syssrc \
    > syssrc.cvs.log
  cd syssrc; rm -r /usr/src; mkdir -p /usr/src; mv * /usr/src/

Do also

  echo "update -P -d" >> ~/.cvsrc

and then to update periodically, you need only do

  cd /usr/src; cvs update > syssrc.cvs.log

They really don't need to be in /usr/src, if you'd rather leave them
somewhere else, and you really don't need to save a log, but it's
useful to remind you that you have local changes (if/when you do).

Frederick