Subject: Re: Bulding a Kernel
To: Matthew Theobalds <mtheobalds@mac.com>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fredb@immanent.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 07/08/2001 12:53:40
On Sun, 8 Jul 2001, Matthew Theobalds wrote:

> Thanks for the rapid response, I downloaded
> <ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/NetBSD-
> current/tar_files/src/sys.tar.gz>, which I assume is the same as the
> sys.tgz of which you speak?
>
> I think my "tar -xzpf" command was in "/" so I had to move the contents
> of the resulting "/src" directory to "/usr/src/" to create a
> "/usr/src/sys" directory. This may have been part of my problem, I don't
> know.

This one has /usr/src/sys/conf in the right place, so I don't know why
that doesn't work, unless perhaps current is broken this week. Moving
the contents to "/usr/src" shouldn't matter -- that's where they
usually go. You should not use the "-p" option to tar, by the way.
That's for installed files which must have certain permissions and
owners to work correctly. The sources should all be owned by you.

> I am on a modem, so I prefer to keep all downloads to a minimum.
>
> I also downloaded the <ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/NetBSD-
> current/tar_files/src/config.tar.gz> as per the instructions in that
> document.

That should end up in /usr/src/usr.sbin/config. You built and
installed that OK?

> Any other ideas which don't involve getting the entire source of NetBSD?

I should ask you first, what system you're running. What good is a
current kernel without the current sources? If you're only building a
custom kernel, you should be building a kernel with sources that match
the system you have.

Frederick