Subject: Re: NetBSD 1.5 on PowerBok 165C
To: David C. Hacker, DVM <dh55145@alltel.net>
From: gabriel rosenkoetter <gr@eclipsed.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 07/01/2001 09:53:31
On Sun, Jul 01, 2001 at 08:38:25AM -0500, David C. Hacker, DVM wrote:
> I was able to install NetBSD 1.5 on my PowerBook 165C.  It booted up in
> single user mode and I edited /etc/rc.conf to say rcconfigured=yes and put
> hostname=PowerBook165C
> I then rebooted and it when through the whole startup process but then it got
> to the very end and I got this line.
> Jul 01 08:35:10 CDT 2001 PowerBook165C	getty [174]:	/dev/ttyE0:	No such file
> or directory

Hrm. Did you upgrade from a previous version of NetBSD on this hard
drive?

Presuming not, did you go through *all* of the installation steps?

Myssing ttyE0 is either a symptom of coming from the time before
wscons (which uses ttye0, if memory serves--at the least a different
file name, for the console) or of not having created the device
files properly.

Boot to single user mode (it's an option in the MacOS-side booter,
one which you probably want to set once but not "save options"...
this is more typically achieved by doing a "boot -s" from the
bootloader, but mac68k's bootloader is what you might call atypical),
then mount your file systems red/write ("mount -u / ; mount -a"
should do the trick; the second half is uncessary if you only have
one NetBSD partition), then "cd /dev && ./MAKEDEV all".

If that doesn't fix the problem and your MAKEDEV file is up to date,
then there's an error in the mac68k MAKEDEV script that's not
accounting for wscons (but I doubt this).

Cheers...

--
       ~ g r @ eclipsed.net