Subject: Re: new snapshot
To: None <port-mac68k@netbsd.org>
From: Matthew Theobalds <mtheobalds@mac.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 06/29/2001 23:59:06
On Friday, June 29, 2001, at 10:17  pm, gabriel rosenkoetter wrote:

>> The only operating systems it has had on whilst in my possession are
>> Mac
>> OS 7.5, Network Access Disk (don't recall what version of Mac OS that
>> one is), and various incarnations of NetBSD 1.5. The only systems to
>> cause this problem has been NetBSD 1.5 June 24 and June 16 sources.
>> June
>> 24 was GENERIC kernel, June 16 was the GENERICSBC kernel.
>>
>> It's therefore unlikely that it could be a hardware problem, though not
>> impossible. It's got fairly standard components, Apple IIcx, 8MB RAM.
>> Internal SCSI Hard Disk. Nubus Ethernet card, standard Display card.
>>
>> I really can't think of anything which is exceptionally strange about
>> it.
>
> Hrm. I don't recall Mac II's power subsystems being exactly what I'd
> call reliable. But it doesn't seem like any kind of weird response
> from the soft power stuff should make the kernel panic... or was it
> just hang?

Pretty sure it was a panic since it said:

	panic: scsipi_execute_xs

And then went into the debugger.

> Is it possible to get a crash dump of one of these hangs? It'd help
> to include that in the PR... ah, I see you already sent it. Reply
> including gnats-bugs@gnats.netbsd.org to append to the PR. Your
> reponse won't show up on the netbsd-bugs mailing list (unless you
> include that address too), but it'll make it into the PR.

Would a crash dump be the output when one types "c" in the debugger and
lots of Hexdecimal numbers scroll on the screen?

In that case, it would be possible, but difficult, since it would
require typing them all out to another machine. Is this what you meant?

> Oooo... ooo... Just read your PR and something occured to me. Wasn't
> this around the date that Jason Thorpe's new SCSI tree was imported?
> It's distinctly possible that this doesn't interact so well with
> nubus-era mac's SCSI subsystem. That's worth investigating.
>
> This is probably *not* a general power problem, but rather a
> shutting-down-the-SCSI-bus problem, judging by the output in your PR.

I'd definitely agree, that almost occured to me, since scsi seems to be
mentioned a lot in the panic and it occurs at about the time one would
expect a SCSI system to be shutdown.

Should I add words to this effect to the PR, or do you think they'll
already have realised that?

>> No doubt you thought:
>>
>> 	"He couldn't have missed something -that- obvious, could he..?
>> Could he?!"
>
> Um, actually, I thought "He ran MAKDEV with / as the working
> directory," then didn't bother to reply till the next day, by which
> time you'd already figured it out. ;^>

:P

All the best.

Matthew