Subject: Re: new snapshot
To: None <port-mac68k@netbsd.org>
From: Matthew Theobalds <mtheobalds@mac.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 06/28/2001 19:02:18
On Thursday, June 28, 2001, at 06:27  pm, Frederick Bruckman wrote:

> On Thu, 28 Jun 2001, Matthew Theobalds wrote:
>
>> However... as with the previous snapshot (June 16 sources), the
>> "reboot"
>> command causes a kernel panic.
>
> You should probably use "shutdown -r now", but "reboot" still
> shouldn't cause a panic.

I had always thought that "reboot" and "poweroff" are the correct ones
for BSD whilst "shutdown" had been put in to maintain sideways
compatibility with those coming from a GNU background. Out of interest,
could you explain, briefly, the differences between them? Either way
though, a kernel panic is not the expected result!

> _Please_ file a bug report. If you can't use "send-pr" because you're
> not connected to the internet, you can use the web form:
>
> 	http://www.netbsd.org/Gnats/

Certainly, no problem at all. It occurred to me that I perhaps ought to
do so, however I wasn't sure whether or not this counted as a bug, but
now I know.

>> Final comment, after "cd /tmp"-ing and "pax -zrvpe -f
>> /blah/blah/etc.tgz"-ing, my root "/" was filled with what looks like
>> the
>> contents of "/dev". Perhaps the paths need to be verified. I could have
>> done it wrong though, I just don't think I did, that means little,
>> however.
>
> That hardly seems possible -- "etc.tgz" doesn't contain any files for
> "/dev" except the script that creates the remaining files.  Were
> "etc", "dev", "var" created in "/tmp"?

Yes, I couldn't understand it either. I am almost certain that "etc"
"dev" and "var" were in "/tmp" (thought it is all cleared now). I also
recall that the sole contents of "/tmp/dev" was "MAKEDEV.local".

Ah! It's just occurred to me what I did wrong! As I was in a hurry, and
couldn't wait for the rest of the installation to take things a step at
a time, I added up lots of commands to finish the insatllation,
something like this:

	pax -zrvpe -f /blah/text.tgz && sh /dev/MAKEDEV all && fsck -fy &&
reboot

before I went away. It has just occurred to me that it is likely that
the "/dev/MAKEDEV" script installs relative to one's path. I should have
cd-ed in first, evidently.

Panic's over, folks! My own stupidity.

Thanks for the help, all the best.

Matthew