Subject: Re: Diskless Network Booting, OS X->m68k Cross Compile?
To: Halim Chtourou <blizzard@mac.com>
From: Alex Zepeda <jazepeda@pacbell.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 06/19/2001 12:36:49
On Wed, Jun 13, 2001 at 11:58:21PM -0400, Halim Chtourou wrote:

> Hi,
> I read all the posts about netbooting...  I'd like to know if this is
> possible, because of any hardware limitations of operating system
> compatibility issues.  I want to export a directory on my G4 running Mac
> OS X (which has plenty of disk space) via NFS, and have my PowerBook
> 520c (which has very limited space) use that NFS volume as it's root
> filesystem and run NetBSD? (assuming I setup a proper NetBSD/mac68k
> installation in the exported directory).  What would be the best way to
> setup this 68k netbsd installation on my G4? I no longer  have my
> Centris, so I can't copy it from an existing system.

What I'm doing is booting off of a kernel on the internal hdd (Q650), and
running a dhcp server on my PC and mounting everything off of an nfs
volume hosted by that PC.  It works pretty well, albeit very very slowly.
I imagine with the appropiate MacOS file sharing tweaking, you could even
put the NetBSD kernel on a remote FS.

Basically I just untarred the tarballs onto the PC, and made the
appropiate devices.

I'm currently running a make build, so I'll see how that goes...

- alex